Current Electricity generation
India has topped the chart for generating electricity. India’s 75% of electricity generation comes from coal-powered energy plants. Most of its electricity (42%) is utilized for industrial purposes. Around 18% goes to agricultural activity, 8% for commercial purposes, and 24% for residential use.
The sources of electricity generation matter the most as we are facing massive destruction due to natural events that cause heavy damage to societal growth. Coal alone contributes around 50% of the electricity generation in India. Most of this coal comes from foreign soil. On the other hand, renewable energy sources are gaining the top charts of the market as the public is demanding greener and better electricity generation.
Renewable energy source benefits
Renewable energy sources are the best alternative to fight climate change. They help us reduce our carbon footprint. The point is, up to what extent can it help generate green electricity?
In the previous article, How long can we rely on renewable energy sources? we have covered renewable energy sources and their productivity. You can refer to that article to understand the basics.
- The economic benefit is the top priority when we talk about any business model. The energy sector has been the center of every business and economy as it affects directly or indirectly.
- Employment generation was an issue for many economies as the industries were restructuring their operations to machinery. The renewable energy sector has helped create millions of jobs globally.
- Health benefits are one of the major reasons renewable energy sources are preferred by many. They emit the least or no pollutant particles in the air that we breathe. This helps in reducing the vulnerability of oxygen & the air around us.
- Soil health is even benefitted due to this. Green sources generate electricity through natural resources. This process does not require mining or transporting any material at large.
- Supports alternative solutions to store the excess amount of electricity generated.
The benefits are more on the list. But the real question is, how long will it continue?
Every element or product that we manufacture has a life. The tools and machinery that we use to generate electricity get old and ineffective as time passes. The abundant sources like wind, sun and water tides are never-ending.
Nuclear energy is also considered a renewable source of energy. But the question arises when we speak about the waste generated after production.
Solar panels have a life of around 15 – 20 years, where electricity production starts reducing as the life span of the panel deteriorates. There are no proper procedures or set of rules to manage or recycle the waste from panels. Wind turbines are made from multiple elements. It stops generating electricity as it has the lifespan the solar panel has.
The elements used in producing renewable technology are not abundant as the wind, water, or air on this planet.
The action plan
We have a chance to keep our global warming temperature below 1.5 degrees. The methods are hard to follow, but we have no option. The stricter we act, the better it will be. Taking action on time is always better than making no choices.
We can contribute to this by reducing the demand for such products that demand a high amount of non-compostable elements such as plastic or synthetic chemicals.
– Parag Ahire