“Easy to maintain hydroponic home kits designer”
Little Greens Hydroponics LLP, incorporated in March 2021, aims to be a one-stop-shop for all requirements relating to growing plants using hydroponics – sale, and installation of home kits, construction, and maintenance of poly houses, consultancy, and training. A group of fifteen alumni of the 1974 batch of Little Flower High School, Hyderabad, India, with diverse educational qualifications and over 35 years of experience each in varied fields, have come together to set up this venture.
Microgreens are the edible seedling form of many vegetables that are about 1 to 3 inches tall, with the first set of true leaves. They fall somewhere between sprouts and baby vegetable plants. Sprouts are harvested as soon as the radicals (roots) appear in 2 to 3 days, whereas microgreens are allowed to grow for a few more days under a controlled environment till they are about 1 to 3 inches tall, and the first true leaves appear.
Microgreens have an aromatic flavor and concentrated nutrient content and come in a variety of colors and textures. Their taste varies from neutral to spicy, slightly sour, or even bitter, depending on the variety. Microgreens can be grown from a variety of seeds such as radish, sunflower, coriander, mustard, peas, beet, and amaranths.
The technology they use:
Hydroponics technology, in its broadest sense of including any non-soil-based cultivation, is at the core of their business.
The key advantages of hydroponics over soil-based methods are:
- Water-efficient – hydroponics techniques use only 10% of the water that is consumed by traditional soil-based methods
- Increased crop yield, denser vegetation, faster growth, and more flavourful crops – the yield per acre can be as high as 2 to 9 times as compared with soil-based cultivation depending on the plant and the specific hydroponic technique used
- In most cases, there is no need to use pesticides at all; where necessary, natural pesticides are used.
What do they offer?
- Sale and installation of standard hydroponic home kits for growing vegetables and greens.
- Sale of nutrients, seeds, saplings, and accessories required to monitor and regulate their growth.
- Building and installation of custom-made hydroponics systems for homes and offices.
- Installation of greenhouses and poly-houses.
Their mission is to enable every household to grow their vegetables organically in an environmentally friendly manner, using hydroponics technology. Although this is a for-profit venture, the primary motivation is not to maximize profits, but rather to inform, educate, encourage, and support people to grow their healthy vegetables in their own homes.