Veg v/s Non-Veg

Dieticians and Nutritionists art1

Food poses the most important position in human life. There are barely any chances where we could survive for a long time without consuming food. The human body is made up of several elements which integrate to operate in a certain order. Consuming the food according to the season and our body type helps us to keep our body healthy.

For a long time, there has been a debate on vegetarian food versus non-vegetarian food. Individuals involved in this debate have some valid points on the table let us try to find out in this article.

Vegetarian food

India is the world’s leading country in terms of a vegetarian population of around 38% consuming only vegetables, fruits, and dairy products. A vegetarian diet can provide a wide variety of healthy and nutritious foods, but what a person eats will depend on the type of diet they are following and their personal food choices.

The vegetarian diet includes all plant-based diets such as fruits, vegetables, etc. Vegetarian diets are generally high in fiber, bran, and vitamins. Vegetarian diets are often recommended as they tend to be low in calories. Vegetarians can include eggs and dairy products in their diet. However, these days, most vegetarians are drawn to the idea of being vegan, which refers to a diet that only includes plant-based diets.

Plant-based foods, like most non-plant-based diets, do not contain cholesterol. These types of foods are also low in saturated foods. Several studies have also shown that vegetarians reduce the risk of coronary heart disease, high blood pressure, obesity, and more.

Types of Vegetarian

• Lacto-Ovo Vegetarians – They do not consume meat, seafood, and poultry animals; but eat eggs and dairy products such as milk, yogurt, and ghee.

• Lacto-vegetarians – dairy products and plant-based food only.

• Ovo-vegetarians – eggs but avoid dairy products.

• Vegan vegetarians – Avoid all types of non-veg food; avoid consuming eggs and dairy products as well. They even avoid products that contain these elements.

Non-Vegetarian Food

A non-vegetarian diet includes meat, fish, and seafood. This type of food is high in protein and fat. Iron in non-vegetable foods is also of better quality and is better absorbed by the body. Non-vegetarian foods contain B complexes such as B12 that are not found in plant foods. A non-vegetarian diet also has its drawbacks as it is high in calories and low in fiber.

Fish oil is fat or oil that is extracted from fish tissue. The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends eating 1 to 2 servings of fish per week. This is because the omega-3 fatty acids in fish have many health benefits, including protection from a range of diseases.

However, if you don’t eat 1 to 2 servings of fish a week, fish oil supplements can help you get enough omega-3 fatty acids.

About 30% of fish oil is made up of omega-3 fatty acids and the remaining 70% is made up of other fats. Also, fish oil usually contains vitamins A and D.

It’s important to note that the omega-3s found in fish oil have more health benefits than the omega-3s found in some plant sources.

Types of Non-Vegetarians

Non-vegetarians generally eat all types of animal-based food, however, people on a pescatarian diet consume fish and other seafood, but avoid red meat and poultry.

Final words

Both types of food are essential for the human body to survive. It’s up to the individuals and their working environment that decides whether to eat only veg food or have a balanced diet between veg and non-veg. Reports around the world shows, people are shifting their taste towards veg food as the meat industry is practicing not so eco-friendly business model.

The choice is yours, whether to have a healthy diet or just keep it as it was. In my opinion, veg food is light to digest and keeps us mostly away from diseases as compared to non-veg food. Having fruit in your diet twice a week could help you a lot in the long run.

“Have a healthy and safe diet”

– By Parag Ahire

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.